Learn how to install cabinet hardware painlessly by creating and using a template.
How to Install Cabinet Hardware using a template
A template is the easiest way to install hardware, especially when you have a lot of hardware to install.
Creating a template helps to avoid mistakes. Instead of measuring your cabinets each time, you measure once and then just clamp and go for all the other cabinets.
Create a template to install Cabinet Hardware
- Find a scrap piece of wood to use as your template. For shaker cabinets like these use the same width scrap as the shaker itself.
- Align the scrap piece of wood to the edges of the cabinets. This will cause your holes to always be level.
- Mark out the cabinet holes on the scrap wood exactly where you would like them to sit once finished.
Pre Drill Holes for Cabinet Hardware
- Pre-drill the holes for the hardware into your template.
Tip: Start will a small drill bit for the most accurate spacing. Sometimes the large drill bits can jump a little causing your measurements to not be accurate.
Use a small drill bit first, then drill overtop with the appropriate sized drill bit after.
Use Your Template to Install Cabinet Hardware
- Double and triple-check that your template is accurate by attaching your hardware to the template.
- Once you know your template is perfect start pre-drilling for the hardware installation.
- You can use the correct drill bit right off the bat because you have done the work upfront.
Install Cabinet Hardware
- Remove the template to reveal your perfectly drilled holes.
- Now install the rest of the cabinet hardware using just the template.
Just like with most things in life, if you do the hard, tedious work upfront all the rest is smooth sailing!
In our case, we only installed five new pieces of hardware, but just imagine if you had a whole kitchen full of hardware to install. Using a template eliminates all potential mistakes.
Before and After Laundry Room
Here we have the full reveal of the laundry room. If you have been following along on our Instagram you will know that this space is not complete.
Just around the corner is our bathroom. All cabinet doors are off and waiting for their transformation.
Finishing the laundry was the inspiration we needed to complete the bathroom portion as well. Four more doors to go and we will have a brand new bathroom space as well.
Thank you for following along in your laundry room transformation. If you want to read more please have a look at the links below!